Ellie Contreras - Contemporary Figurative Artist
Ellie’s has a degree in graphic design and illustration and for the last twenty years been working as a free-lance graphic designer and artist. Her love of figurative painting began at age thirteen when she got all the books on oil painting out of the local library and taught herself how to paint, she has been painting ever since evolving her technique and style. She is self-taught to a large extent believing in the principle of 10,000 hours of “deliberate practice” needed to become accomplished in any field including painting and she has certainly put in the hours! Over the years she has added to this with tuition in collage, university and workshops.
Ellie’s primary interest is in contemporary figurative oil paintings where she is developing her own unique visual style. She is currently working on a series of paintings based on mythology which explore themes such as addiction and female empowerment.
Ellie is inspired by the highly imaginative ancient art found in mosaics and tapestries and has a particular interest in early 20th century figurative art. After the huge shift away from western formal realism had taken place and the pendulum of popular art had swung to the other extreme towards abstraction there were figurative artists who were finding a place somewhere within these two polarities far enough away from formal realism to allow for imagination and experimentation but close enough to portray human emotions and allow for narrative. Artists from that era such as Frida Kahlo, André Derain, Amadeo de Souza-Cardossa, Edward Burra and John Minton among others are Ellie’s biggest influence .
Ellie is also an accomplished portrait artist and has completed numerous private commissions. She produces a range of beautifully decorative gilded bird and floral paintings for Paradise Boutique. She also has a range of original and affordable lino cut prints and giclee prints of some of her paintings in her Etsy shop.
- Denbies Wine Estate group exhibition 16th 27th March 2020
- CONTEMPORARY ART FAIRS – SURREY Sandown Park Racecourse 13 – 15 Mar 2020
- The Pavillion Guildford Cricket club – group exhibition March 2019
- Guildford art society Autumn Exhibition at West Horsley Place – Saturday 2nd to Sunday 10 November 2019
- New Artist Fair London – Old Truman Brewery, 13th to 15th of September 2019
- Farnham art society spring pop up show Coxbridge Farm 26-27thMay 2019
- Contemporary art fair Newbury – 10th May – 11th May 2019
- Guildford House Gallery – group exhibition May 2018
- Farnham Art society summer exhibition June 2018
- Epsom & Ewell Contemporary art exhibition July 2018
- Guildford House Gallery – group exhibition 13th October – 3rd November 2018
- Oko:Art Autumn Exhibition 8th November – 18th November 2018
Limited edition Giclee prints now available
In my print shop you will find limited edition fine quality gilcee fine art prints for some of my paintings along with hand printed linocut prints.